Hi dear reader, I'm Linda Hourani, an investigative reporter at the Kyiv Independent. Today, I want to take you through one day in my life in Kyiv. It was supposed to be a normal office day for me, researching for an investigative story. But amid Russia's daily drone and missile barrages, the word "normal" has taken on a new meaning for Ukrainians. As you may have heard, since August, Russian attacks on Kyiv and other cities have intensified. Unlike the nightly drone and missile attacks Ukrainians had grown used to, these new attack waves stretch throughout the whole day. They become your constant companion. That morning a loud explosion outside around 6 a.m. first woke me up. A Russian jet-powered drone had hit somewhere in Kyiv. I reached for my phone and checked in which district the explosion had happened. As it was nowhere near me or my family's home, I went back to sleep. By the time I woke up again and got ready for the office, our work chat was filling up with reports of isolated strikes across Kyiv and photos of distant smoke. I was about to head out when my roommate called, her voice tense. "Linda, are you okay? I'm reading about live attacks in our area." She told me to leave the house as quickly as I could. We both laughed nervously — the kind of confused laughter we have learned to use for releasing some of the stress. A few minutes later, I heard a deafening strike that sounded close. I checked my phone for more incoming drones, then photographed the rising smoke and sent it to the news team. As the reporter closest to the impact, I was assigned to cover the attack on the area surrounding Kyiv's central railway station. I had to stay put until the alert was over, then head there. |
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten